Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thankful ... so thankful

Friday evening I was at Cincinnati House of Prayer, one of our favorite places of worship. As I held Lia and watched Mayana dancing with her arms raised to heaven, I sang along with our worship leader, "Thank you, Jesus, for all you've done for me." I felt overwhelmed with gratitude. I felt so chosen ... He chose me to parent these beautiful girls. Out of hundreds of adopting moms and millions of orphans, God chose to match us so perfectly. The wonder of it all hit me again, as it has been washing over me for a few months now, of Mayana's amazing journey. That a child who was raised knowing a chant to Buddha, in a country that suppresses religious expression, should come into our family with a heart so wide open to love and worship Jesus, just blows my mind. Her heart for worship far surpasses that of other children her age, including her two close in age sisters. This heart of hers ... I certainly would not have anticipated this.

I am also so thankful for Mayana's love that she expresses to me. Tonight after I prayed for them and turned off the light, she said, "Mommy?" yes, Mayana. "I have your love and your hug." I replied, "That's good. You keep them for me until tomorrow." What a miracle that this child can stare deeply into my eyes, with her eyes, like lovely chocolate pools, seem to absorb the love that flows from my own eyes of green with a hint of blue!

Did I tell you that what she thought of us at first? She was scared because we were ugly and talked funny! She had never seen anyone like us, except in pictures. And even though she had seen our photos ... a whole photo album that we sent with letters ... she wasn't prepared for the reality - especially our noses in 3-D !

But the eye contact now is truly amazing to me. It far surpasses that of my other two ... even after all these years.

I could go on and on tonight, but I will save more for later. And I hope tomorrow to post some snow pics. (Now that we are breathing a deep sigh of relief that Spring is coming.)

2 comments:

Deb - said...

Pam, Mayana sounds like pure joy. I too, feel such profound blessings to see Taylor open her heart to God's teaching and the many, many questions she asks constantly as she learns. What a privelege to be the mom who tries her best to answer her questions. Your home must be full of fun and giggles x5 :)

Ash said...

Yeah Pam, knowing you are the 'chosen' one for Mayana melts my heart. Hannah is sooo happy Mayana was able to have a mommy and daddy and I am glad it was you. She deserves every ounce of love you can pour at her, and to have 4 sisters... wonderful! Glad the love is a two way street.
Blessings,
Ash